There are a variety of factors that determine whether you get a cavity or not. From genetics to diet to your dental care habits, a multitude of variables can cause cavities. Cavities need to be treated as soon as possible as they can result in dangerous infections and even tooth loss.
Cavities are one of the most common dental ailments, but is it possible to never get cavities? It turns out, it is. About 92% of adults have experienced a cavity, but the other 8% have not! Today, let’s talk about what causes cavities and why some lucky folks never get them.
What Causes Cavities?
At any given time, your mouth is full of bacteria. Most of the bacteria in your mouth is good and helps you digest food, fight disease, and keep your mouth clean. However, some of the bacteria in your mouth feed on sugars and starches, creating a harmful acid. This acid, combined with other bacteria, food debris, and saliva form plaque and wear down tooth enamel (the hard, protective outer coating of your teeth). The holes created by the acid are called cavities. Left untreated, cavities can result in tooth decay, infection and even tooth loss.
How Can You Prevent Cavities?
Some people have a natural advantage in the fight against cavities. Scientists have determined that some people just don’t have the type of bacteria that causes cavities. For the rest of us, there are many steps you can take to reduce the chance of getting a cavity. Limit your intake of sugary, starchy foods that give bacteria something to feed on. Also, make sure you’re brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing every day to clean away food particles.
If you are worried you might have a cavity or have any questions about cavities, contact our office and one of our knowledgeable team members would be happy to speak with you or help you schedule an appointment.